Kingston, Mass. --- The Kingston Public Library will hold a poetry contest from Wednesday, March 22 through Wednesday, April 12, for National Poetry Month in April. The contest is open to all residents of the Town of Kingston and neighboring communities.
Individuals may submit one original poem in any form, but it must be about the theme, “Connecting with Nature,” and suitable for a general audience. The poem may not exceed 35 lines, including line breaks and title. Poems will be judged on creativity, style, and adhering to the theme. Judges from the Greater Kingston area will pick winners in each age category.
The age categories for the contest will be children (ages 5 to 11), teens (ages 12 to 17), and adults (ages 18+). Winners will be announced on Thursday, April 23 or Friday, April 24.
The top prize winners are eligible to win a $50 Amazon gift card, second-place finishers can earn a $25 Amazon gift card, and the third-place winners will receive a $10 Amazon gift card. The prizes have been generously provided by the Friends of the Kingston Public Library.
The winning poems will be published on the Library website. Patrons must be able to pick up their prize at the Kingston Public Library. For more information please contact Steven Miller, Reference Librarian at (781) 585-0517 x6272 or e-mail.
- Contest will be open to residents of the Town of Kingston and neighboring communities. Patron must be able to pick up their prize at the Library.
- Individuals may send one original poem in any form, but it must be about the theme, “Connecting with Nature.”
- Poem must be suitable for a general audience.
- Poem cannot be under review for possible publication. Poem will be disqualified if it has been plagiarized.
- Entry must not exceed 35 lines including line breaks and title.
- Poems will be judged on creativity, style, and adhering to the theme. Judges from the Greater Kingston community will pick the winners.
Submitting Your Poem
- To submit your poem, please submit two pages. The first page should be the title of the poem and the poem. The second page should be the submitters name, entry category (children, teen, adult), grade (if applicable), address, phone number, and e-mail address (if available). Please do not put any identifying information on the first page, so judges only see the title and poem.
- Submit your typed entry as a Microsoft Word, Google Doc, or PDF attachment by e-mail (Please use subject line – Poetry Contest). Typed entries can be also dropped off at the Reference or Children’s desk of the Kingston Public Library. Poems must be in size 12 font. Fancy fonts, colors, or illustrations are not permitted.